Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Heather's Story

"Courage doesn't always roar, 
sometimes it’s the quiet voice at the end of the day whispering
 ‘I will try again tomorrow"
– Mary Anne Radmacher

For those of you that know me, or have come to know me through this blog, you know that I am strong on Female Empowerment.  You can clearly see it buried within each blog entry I write; from the things I've done throughout my life, to the things I've built, and the challenges I've faced. 

 I believe in the strength a woman possesses in order to rise above all that life gives.  
We, as women are expected to carry the weight of the World, and to never put it down.
  
When it gets heavy, we lift it higher. 

Just recently I was contacted by a strong woman who is fighting her own battle that is bigger than anything that I could ever imagine.  

She asked for nothing more than for me to share her personal message with my readers.  Even though she was a complete stranger to me, I am truly inspired by her story, and the courage it took for her to reach out to me personally.

To help spread her message, please share her web link (below) on your own media site.  
Life is about giving, even if it's just awareness.  
But even awareness can help save a life.
  
Heather has Mesothelioma. 

"Mesothelio... WHAT?" 
Mesothelioma is a very rare form of cancer primarily caused by the exposure to Asbestos.  Mesothelioma attacks the lining that covers your internal organs.  If you have ever had a severe cold and have coughed so hard that your chest hurts each time you breathe- You had more than likely bruised your Plural space (that is the lining between your lungs and your rib cage)  Now imagine that pain x's infinity, and in more spots, and if it didn't go away.  
Now imagine what Heather went through.   

What exactly is Asbestos? 

(asbestos in its natural form)

Asbestos is a strong, heat resistant fiber that occurs naturally in mineral form.  It became a primary building material used in the 19th century because of its tensile strength, flame retardant ability, and of course because it was cheap.  
It was basically the wonder product of its time, and it was used in EVERYTHING! 

What's so harmful about it?
The main problem with Asbestos is that the fibers are so small. 700 times smaller than a human hair!  Once airborne, they are easily inhaled.  Those tiny fibers can even get lodged in your skin!  Once in the body, Asbestos causes all types of problems, including Heather's Mesothelioma.

The first documented death from Asbestos occurred in 1906 in the UK. 
But unfortunately, it wasn't until the 1970's and 80's that our own government started cracking down on the use of this product.

How prevalent is Asbestos today?
Outside of the fact that construction workers, and ship builders still face Asbestos from old construction, products today can still be manufactured with Asbestos as long as they contain less than 1%.  Some current uses include; brake pads, clutch systems in cars, roofing material, home insulation and even some potting soils!

Please take a moment to watch this short video.
You will soon learn what a courageous, strong woman Heather is!


If you would like more information on Mesothelioma please visit:




   

No comments: