Sunday, September 7, 2008

Yo Momma is NO Picasso!

Aright everyone! Enough Doom & Gloom for a few days!

Here is my latest creation...
I have been working on repainting my toddler's room. You will soon start to learn that I repaint the rooms in my house A LOT. I swear each room has been painted at least twice in the seven years that I have lived here.

Here's a little more on my OCD paint addiction. Did I mention I don't use your traditional painting tools??? Most people use power painters, paint sticks, large brushes or rollers. Um,... Gosh, now I'm really going to sound strange.... I have painted entire rooms of my house; living room, kitchen, hallways, master bedrooms, laundry room, 3 bedrooms...(and don't forget-TWICE!!), with a two inch foam brush. Yep, one of those dinky little .25 cent jobbers from Walmart. Black foam, wood handle... Mainly used for cutting in around windows and molding. If you don't know what I'm talking about- You clearly need to do some repainting around your own home! lol.
BUT- The good news is that I have graduated from that 2" foam brush to a 2" bristle brush!

Why do I use such a ridiculously small brush to paint such large areas you ask??? I honestly don't know the answer. The only thing I can come up (are the tiny voices in my head telling me to use that brush!- Na, I don't hear voices... I'm not nuts you know! *snark*) is that with all of the molding in each room it was easier to use the little brushes instead of the big rollers- because I didn't have to clean up as much when I got paint where I shouldn't have gotten paint. So I think instead of constantly switching brushes, it just kind of stuck with me. And I find with the very textured walls, it was easier to stipple the paint into the grooves.

All in all, you have NO IDEA how long it takes me to paint a room. But, clearly after so much wall space and practice, I can really motor along with my little brush! Heck!! I bet I'm even better than the Karate Kid ("Daniel son, show me paint the fence!") LOL!

The one thing I absolutely hate about painting is the clean up. I cannot STAND washing brushes- Hence: cheap brushes = instant trash = no clean up! Yeah!!!

The first time I had painted this room I had painted it a color called "Indian Moccasin" That of course was during "L.I.P" (life before Pierce) lol. It was an alright color to look at for awhile, but over time the more I stared at it, the more it became peach colored in my eyes! Especially after you put a BOY in the room.
This time around I decided to paint it a really dark colonial blue/grey. It is an awesome color! Just love it!

Then I decided to get more creative... This is something I had never attempted before. Sure, I took quite a few art classes in High School, but I flunked out of painting and drawing class!
I hand painted some whimsical fish on the wall. With a wall color that dark it just screamed "water" to me. Below are some of the fish I have done. I first drew them on the wall by hand in pencil, and then mixed up some fun colors to bring them to life! Pierce knows that the first fish on top is referred to as "Daddy's fish", then below that one is "Pierce's" fish, then comes "Mamma's fish" and lastly is "sister's fish". So they all have this feminine touch- But Hey!, He's only TWO- and doesn't seem to really care :)
Next came his name train!
I am not finished yet, but I figured I would give you a sneak peak! My idea behind this was to have a different sea animal haul each letter and be tethered to the letter in front of it. I am thinking of putting a giant snail in between the letters "P" & "I", another fish between the letters "I" & "E", of course you see the sea horse in between the "E" and "R", I am thinking about putting a lobster in between the letters "R" & "C".. then you see the fish between letters "C" & "E". In case you were wondering what those round pink dots are by the letters- They are snails in the making! And of course those red "things" that look like flowers- are my not very artistic star fish (some still need their yellow spots added).

This wall has been kind of a labor of love. And no, I'm not painting it with a two inch brush! lol. I'm using teeny tiny art brushes for this! lol. It's amazing what kind of colors you can make from a few tubes of cheap primary colored craft paint.
As you can tell, I'm definitely not the next Pablo Picasso! Some of my lines aren't the straightest, some of my shadowing doesn't make sense, and my sea horse could have been centered better (I will prob. add a school of little fish behind him so it doesn't look so out of whack). But it has been fun- and the boy just loves his train, and that's all that really matters! ...Ugh.... Until he turns 5, and then wants something that will be WAY out of my league to paint!

No comments: