Thursday, July 10, 2008

The 1 A.M Knock...

There I was... Sleeping. Lol! OK Let's try this again.

It was the middle of the night. I was hard asleep on the couch, when I heard a faint sounding knock on my front door. The dog started barking- I mean BARKING like he was ready for blood. Which is kind of humorous because during the day he has been wearing his anti bark collar. And because I don't think he would know what to do with a stranger other than lick them to death. But it was sounding quite impressive! It was one moment in time that I was absolutely grateful he wasn't wearing that no bark collar!

Waking up in the pitch black of night, living out in the stix, husband not home...baby sleeping... I didn't answer the door. I was hoping that whomever was knocking in the middle of the night would just go away! I have lived in this house for almost 8 years- and have NEVER had anyone come calling this time of the night (well, technically- "Morning", given that it was after midnight!)

So I left it... Only to hear "knock, knock" "BARK!" "BARK!" "growl..."

This time I figured I better deal with whatever it is on the other side of the exterior wall that was repeatedly wanting my attention. I crept through the black living room and tried to find the peep hole on my door (That little tiny speck of a hole is hard to find in the dark!). I finally found it! And long behold what do I see?!?!?...

An officer from the Sheriff's department!

I was actually relieved! Even though I had no idea WHY the deputy was here, I figured it was a WAY better option than the idea my mind came up with all on its own! That one wasn't pretty!

And so I answered the door. Here I was, hiding behind the steel entry door, one hand on the dog's collar, the other trying to open the storm door to greet him.

The officer asked me if I owned a black horse, and proceeded to tell me that it was "out" (aka: loose)

I told him to just give me a minute and I will meet him outside. So I closed the door, came in got dressed - UM, YES- DRESSED. Now that I look back on things, I was SO groggy (sleeping pills don't allow for middle of the night clear thinking) that I completely forgot I wasn't wearing PANTS / UNDERWEAR!!! As I look back on things, I thought that when I answered the door I had on my "night gown"! Oh the horror he must have witnessed!!! I bet that I burned a not so pretty image in his head! And to think I was scared to answer the door- If he would have known ahead of time what he was about to see- HE would have been scared to knock! lol!

So... Long story short- Someone saw my BLACK horse running around in the BLACK of night and called the Sheriff's department. I was very grateful that she didn't play "whack a car" on our road out front. I don't think my homeowners insurance man would have liked that! Plus it would have left an awful mess on my road that the town has been painstakingly prepping for resurfacing.

I go outside, see the horse standing in my backyard wanting nothing more than to be back with her "lover" my Clydesdale. I rip off my freshly put on sweatshirt (yes, I have clothes on underneath!- I wasn't about to shock the poor officer again!) wrap it around the horses neck and lead her back to the paddock. We call that maneuver a "Redneck Lead Rope". lol.

THAT'S when I looked down and realized I WASN'T wearing Jammie's under my freshly put on sweatshirt and shorts- That it was just a t-shirt (and a short one at that!) I was silently mortified! Hoping that I really DID stay behind the door when I opened it!

No comments: